Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Join
Energy Economics
Moderator(s): Bill Ellard
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
100 % (or very close) renewable economy 1 B. Ellard Bill - I just finished reading your part one of the "solar wars" article in the Solar Today. I think it is a really great article, and I look forward to seeing part 2 and 3! Regarding net metering, I agree that if utilities don't "play nice", then more and more people will take advantage of new storage technology to do zero export (or self consumption), thereby taking the "net metering" issue off the table. Utilities will then continue to be faced with declining revenues year after year.Longer term, rate designs need to change. Do you follow the Regulatory Assistance Project? In a Dec 2015 webinar (see www.raponline.org/event/demand-charges-pathway-or-detour-webinar/) on slides 37 and 38, a thoughtful rate design is presented that I think would be a good model to consider in the future. Some key points are:- Universal Service: A customer should be able to connect to the grid for no more than the cost of connecting to the grid.- Time-Varying: Customers should pay for grid services and power supply in proportion to how much they use and when they use it.- Fair Compensation: Customers supplying power to the grid should be compensated fairly for the value of the power they supply. I would be interested in your thoughts if you have some time to check it out.Shine On!(Richard) Larry HoweTexas Solar Energy Society Board Member
by R. Howe
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal